“Empathy by Design” is an online studio where we learn to design empathic interactions and organizations. It is a support structure for leaders who care deeply about their commitments to the people they serve, and yet feel stuck in a vicious cycle of frustration trying to bring about change & innovation in their organization.
Deadline has passed.
Enter your email below to receive notice when the next studio opens for sign-up.
- Prepared by a private 1-on-1 coaching session (2 hrs)
- Introduced by an orientation session (3 hrs)
- Commenced by a private 1-on-2 coaching session (2 hrs)
- Structured by 4 (re)design & practice sessions. (3 hrs × 4)
- Supported by 3 peer coaching sessions. (1 hr × 3 × 2)
- Punctuated by a private 1-on-1 coaching session (2 hrs)
- Additionally Supported by weekly online feedback. (1 hr × 12)
- Punctuated by a reflective session (3 hrs)
The studio loops in increments of 3 months, and will be...
Each studio will consist of 6 – 10 people open and willing to support one another in their respective journey of becoming better designers of human interactions and organizations.
The tuition for the program is USD 3,000 per person for a 3 month commitment. You will spend a minimum of 42 hours immersed in learning by practice and reflection.
About the studio
When faced with challenging human interactions, our typical approach is to look at it as a problem to be solved.
- A startup co-founder engaged in conflict with another co-founder may blame the other co-founder as the problem to be solved.
- A leader unable to get teammates to perform to their satisfaction may blame the teammates as problems to be solved.
- A CEO faced with a group of disengaged employees may blame the employees as problems to be solved.
- A startup founder struggling to grow a company may blame themselves as a problem to be solved.
Sometimes this yields positive results. More often than not, it doesn’t. Not only for you, the problem solver, but also for the other person interacting with you. That’s not all, if you’re the kind of person who cares about people and wishes to retain your humanity while also being productive, even a few interactions of this kind can get you drained and stuck in a state of stressful tension. A state where our needs and expectations are unfulfilled or betrayed. A state that, when sustained, can not only breed our resentment and indignance, but also drive us toward apathy and burn-out. This is not a sustainable form of interaction. It is a frustrating form of interaction that can not only perpetuate, but also amplify our anxieties and concerns, thus creating a vicious cycle of stress and tension.
This studio will help you look beyond your frame of “problem solving,” so you can (re)design your human interactions and organizations such that you can not only break the cycle of perpetual stress and anxiety, but also lead and work with other people in a way that yields better results.If you’re a co-founder or in a position of co-leadership, I highly recommended you participate together with the other person. This will reduce your burden of having to translate your learnings to your actual context. It will also save you a tremendous amount of time.
Focus on Empathy
This program is being offered at a time when you’re hearing a lot about the word empathy. They say that empathy is “important.” But you’re wondering “How so? How does it work? What are its limits? How do I apply it? Is it something I can actually work on?” This program will help you and your fellow participants work together to find the answer to all those questions and more. Most importantly, you will get to tailor the answers to your situation.
The tuition for the program is USD 3,000 per person for a 3 month term.
In many cases, your company will reimburse you if you ask the HR department.